This week’s rehearsal pieces:
- Music for a Darkened Theatre by Danny Elfman
- Shepherd’s Hey by Percy Grainger
- Persian Dance No. 2 by Amir Molookpur
- We will read through at least one other piece: Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child
Other music in our folder:
- Irish Tune by Percy Grainger
- Marche Slav by Peter Tchaikowsky
- All Glory Told by James Swearingen
NEWS & INFORMATION
Next four rehearsals after today: Oct 22, Oct 29, Nov 5, Nov 12
If you haven’t already done so, make sure you sign up for rehearsals/concerts!
About the Composer: Danny Elfman
Did you know that Danny Elfman was a trombone-playing street musician, who helped found the new wave rock band, Oingo Boingo? He’s gone from street musician to rock band leader to film composer to classical music composer. Minnesota Public Radio recently aired an interview with him you may find interesting. Links are below.
- Read the MPR article here (https://www.classicalmpr.org/story/2019/09/25/new-classical-tracks-danny-elfman-eleven-eleven)
- Listen to the interview here (http://www.classicalmpr.org/listen/?name=/minnesota/classical/programs/new_classical_tracks/2019/09/25/new_classical_tracks_extended_20190925_128.mp3)
(Performances in bold print. Tentative/pending items in italics)
- Upcoming Board Meeting: Dec 3 after rehearsal (everyone welcome)
- Nov 23, 2019: Delano Performing Arts Center & DCB Anniversary Celebration concert, 6:30 PM (Saturday), Delano Performing Arts Center
- Nov 30, 2019: DCB/Crow River Brass Ensembles, German Advent & Christmas hymns and carols, Loretto ChristKindlMarkt, Parish of Ss Peter & Paul
- Dec 7, 2019: Delano Old Fashioned Christmas (Saturday), 11:00 AM, Delano City Hall/Senior Center (folders turned in at end of concert)
- Dec 14, 2019: (chamber ensemble), Riverwood Covenant Church, 10:00 AM (NOTE: this is a private event)
- Dec 14, 2019: BAND EVENT. End-of-Year Celebration (Saturday, time/location TBD)
(Performances in bold print. Tentative/pending items in italics):
- March 21, 2020: “Women in Music” (Spring Concert). Saturday, 6:30 PM; Delano United Methodist Church
- June/July 2020: “American Memories” (Summer Concert – outdoor); Date/time/location TBD
- July/August 2020: BAND EVENT. Summer Celebration party; Date/time/location TBD
- November 21, 2020: Anniversary Celebration (Fall Concert). Saturday, 6:30 PM, Delano Performing Arts Center
- December 2020: Christmas concert, Delano Old-Fashioned Christmas; date/time/location TBD
- December 12, 2020: BAND EVENT. End-of-Year Celebration; time/location TBD
Openings for Musicians!
The Delano Community Band has openings in all sections. We’re particularly looking for low voices (brass and woodwind). If you know anyone who enjoys playing a band instrument and might be interested in performing with a fun ensemble, encourage them to join (or at least sit in on a rehearsal with) us.
What are YOU doing in the arts?
Are you involved in the arts – particularly music – outside the Delano Community Band? If so, we’d love to know about it. Give us an opportunity to become a part of your fan club! Email and let us know what other artistic endeavors you’re up to!
Life happens when you’re making music!
We all understand that life happens when you’re making music. We know not everyone can make every single rehearsal and performance. And we can handle the occasional absence. As a courtesy to your fellow musicians, respect their time – do your best to arrive and be ready to play at 7:00 PM and let us know when you will be absent. The room is always open by 6:30 PM on rehearsal evenings. Please keep this in mind when you’re planning your Tuesday!